"What should I wear for my photo session?"
Deciding what to wear each morning is hard enough, let alone deciding what to wear for a photo shoot where you will have photographic evidence forever! And if multiple people will be in the photographs, coordinating outfits so that the photographs look their best is like putting a puzzle together. To help you with this puzzle, here are my dos and don'ts for choosing outfits to wear to a photo session.
- DO be yourself. Being comfortable translates into confidence in front of the camera. So don’t wear high heels if you’re a sneakers kind of girl!
- DO work from one color palette. Choose 2-3 colors and weave those into everyone’s outfits for a coordinated look. This includes your dog! Try to pick colors that go well with your dog's fur.
- DON’T do matchy-matchy. Everyone wearing jeans and a white button down shirt is a dated look (so 90s!) Unless you and your family wear matching outfits in your daily life, this is a don’t.
- DO consider your home décor style. Imagine your photograph hanging on the wall in your home – do your outfits blend with your décor? Do you prefer timeless, trendy, bright colors, neutrals, etc?
- DON’T wear large amounts of all black, all white, or extremely saturated colors (like hot pink), as these do not photograph well.
- DON’T choose clothing with text or large graphics. These can distract from the real subjects.
- DO add textures, layers, and/or accessories as the finishing touches and to add interest.
- DON'T forget about your shoes! Especially when photographing dogs, your shoes will often show in the photographs, so you want cute and clean shoes. And if you're wearing sandals, that's a perfect excuse to treat yourself to a pedicure!
Do you already have the perfect outfit in mind and are ready to schedule a session? Great, let's get started!